Monday, October 5, 2009

One Flu Over the Cuckoo's Nest

My kids were sick, but now they're not. A whole week out of school with fever, snot, coughing, fatigue, crankiness, and I-need-to-be-mommied-all-day-long.

It's not bad enough that they were really sick, or that somehow they smelled really weird from the virus, or that no one got any sleep from the coughing, or that we had cabin fever by the third day. The kicker is all the darn make-up work from school. The kids put in an hour on Thursday and Friday, and an hour and a half on Sunday, but there's still several hours worth which is due next Friday, plus they have all of their regular work.

And I'm not that fond of Social Studies.

Cabin fever is kind of a big deal for me. Don't get me wrong, I love my solitude, probably more than most people, but I work through my anxiety by wandering around Big Lots or Tuesday Morning or T.J. Maxx. I'm not really a spender, but I like to look and think. By Wednesday, my brain felt like a pressure cooker. I made two pounds of spaghetti, veggie tacos, and baked cookies just to have something to do.

Then I joined NetFlix. By Friday afternoon, I had rated over three hundred movies and was still scrolling through the selections. There are seventy-eight DVDs in my cue (because I absolutely MUST see every movie Colin Firth was ever in).

I'll never get anything done, now.

No comments:

Post a Comment